- 350 g flank steak
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 225 g cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Natrel salted butter, room temperature
- 4 sourdough buns or any crusty bread roll, cut in half without cutting through
- 180 g OKA L’Artisan cheese, grated
What could be better than a good OKA cheesesteak sandwich to put those classic roast beef leftovers to good use? Mushrooms, peppers, onions and OKA L’Artisan cheese are just a few delicious ingredients to make the perfect sandwich. Your grandma would be proud!
- Cut the steak across the grain as thinly as possible. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a large skillet pan. Over medium-high heat, add the onion and sauté until they begin to colour, about 3–5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the red pepper and garlic and sauté until the pepper softens and the onions begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Reserve.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil and sauté half the steak. Season with half the soy sauce and half the Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the meat is no longer visibly red. Reserve. Repeat for the other half.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Spread the butter inside the buns and toast in the oven cut side up for 3–4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the meat and vegetables on each bun and top with OKA L’Artisan cheese. Return to the oven until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with mayonnaise or mustard if desired.